Child stars seem doomed to self implode once they get into their young adulthood. But more impressive is the track record Disney has for changing innocent little stars into full-blown adult nightmares. The real culprit in corrupting child stars is dealing with fortune and fame at such a young age. Every thing they do gets slapped on the news, good and bad, and that can do a lot of harm to a developing teen. Unfortunately, pushy parents all over the country are willing to risk the welfare of their children for the opportunity of making money. The evidence shows that being in the spotlight at such a young age isn't healthy, but there are no organizations or groups coming out to protect these minors. The best solution would be putting age limits for actors and actresses. But young tween actors produce so much money for big corporations it would be a hard battle to fight. Here is just a small list of the harm done to children for being on the silver screen.
*Post is a collaboration of sources*
1. Lindsay Lohan. The cute red-head got her start playing in The Parent Trap as both twins at the young age of eleven. And then she landed leading roles in Freaky Friday, Mean Girls, and Herbie: Fully Loaded. But early into her twenties the downward spiral began: ongoing heavy partying, late arrivals and absences to jobs, rehab before a DUI, first DUI, rehab again, second DUI, rehab again, monitor bracelet issued by court, felony and misdemeanor charges for possession of cocaine, rehab again, and jail time.
2. Britney Spears. She got her original start starring in the Mickey Mouse Club and then went on to become a pop icon in the 1990s. Things seemed so promising for awhile but then: quick marriage in Vegas, shaving her head, and Kevin Federline (haha).
3. Miley Cyrus. She's a double sized ticking bomb because she's the offspring of a Hollywood star and had her own hit show Hannah Montana. She's still in the beginnings of her spiral but here's just the first few events: partial naked photos with her dad, video of her smoking saliva, and 9 tattoos already!
4. Jamie Spears. Mrs. Spears should be voted worst mom of the century. Her daughter starred in Disney shows All That and Zoey 101 and then got pregnant at 16!!! She should've been the star of the show 16 and Pregnant.
5. Vanessa Hudgens. Disney star in High School Musical. Her naked photos were leaked out to the public and she apologized, then two years later new topless pictures circled the net, and more recently has been sued by multiple parties for un-payment and breach of contract.
6. Amanda Bynes. Disney star in All That and The Amanda Show was recently charged with a DUI and rumored to be partying too hard.
7. Demi Lovato. She starred as Sonny in the Disney show Sonny with a Chance and a movie Princess Protection in 2009. Demi went on to become a billboard top artist and was about to tour with the Jonas Brothers in 2010, when she had to admit herself into rehab. In an Interview with ABC, she admitted to suffering from bulimia, cutting herself, and self medicating with drugs.
And other child stars gone BAD
1. Dana Plato. Kimberly Drummond in Different Strokes tried to rob a video store at gunpoint and then later died after an overdose of drugs.
2. Corey Haim. Canadian 80s teen starred in The Lost Boys, Silver Bullet, Lucas, and License to Drive died of drug overdose at age 38.
3. Brian Bonsall. Played youngest child, Andy, in Family Ties was found guilty to assault and then later was charged in marijuana possession.
4. Gary Coleman. Breakout child star played Arnold Jackson in Different strokes was charged with disorderly conduct, assault, and then arrested for domestic violence.
5. Jodi Sweetin. Played Stephanie Tanner in television show Full House. In an interview she has admitted to using meth, cocaine, and ectasy.
6. Corey Feldman. Huge 80s teen star played in multiple hit movies such as Friday the 13th, The Goonies, The Lost Boys, License to Drive, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He has admitted to being addicted to heroin and cocaine.
7. Danielle Fishel. Played Topanga in Boy Meets World was charged with a DUI.
8. Dustin Diamond. Best known for playing 'Screech' in Saved by the Bell released his own sex tape in 2006 titled 'Screeched - Saved by the Smell'. Both sad and funny.
9. Michael Jackson. No description necessary!
10. Macaulay Culkin. Child star best know role in Home Alone. He got married at age 18, then divorced three years later, and was arrested in 2004 for possession of marijuana and other drugs.
sources: US weekly 'Stars gone bad' and Hatchmagazine